The National Universities Commission (NUC) has released the list of twelve Nigerian universities that have received due approval to operate distance learning centres across the country.
According to a bulletin published by the commission, the National Open University of Nigeria (NOUN) with seventy-two study/resource centres nationwide has been the only approved open university currently practising in Nigeria.
The twelve new universities include:
- Distance Learning Centre, University of Ibadan.
- University of Lagos, Distance Learning Institute.
- The University of Abuja, Centre for Distance Learning and Continuing Education.
- The University of Maiduguri, Centre for Distance Learning.
- Obafemi Awolowo University, Ile-Ife, Centre for Distance Learning.
- Modibbo Adama University of Technology, Yola, Centre for Distance Learning.
- Ladoke Akintola University of Technology Open and Distance Learning Centre.
- Distance learning Centre, Ahmadu Bello University, Zaria.
- Lagos State University Open and Distance Learning and Research Institute.
- Joseph Ayo Babalola University Centre for Distance Learning.
- The University of Nigeria, Nsukka Centre for Distance and e-Learning.
- The Federal University of Technology Minna, Centre for Open Distance and e-Learning.